Translate

Sunday 9 October 2011

New Kele Track - What Did I Do Wrong

I am a huge Bloc Party fan. For me one of the most pivotal moments in my musical experience was the moment I saw them performing "Helicopter" on the Jools Holland show in 2004. There was a striking visual quality to Kele from the moment I saw him. Not to be racist, but it was the fact here was a black guy fronting a British rock band, who were playing "music girls could dance to", but there was a mysticism to there lyrics. I mean I still haven't figured out exactly what Helicopter is about.

Therefore the rumours about Bloc Party splitting and auditioning new singers worries me. I mean in my opinion there is nothing about the other 3 that stands out. Sometimes I think the backing vocals are painfully weak in live shows. But I have loved Kele's solo output.

I love "What Did I Do Wrong". To list the track as Kele feat Lucy Taylor is a bit wrong. I mean his part only comes in during the chorus! But hey, maybe he produced it. There are elements of Magnetic Man's track "Perfect Stranger" to me, in particular the intro keyboard riff. And the fact that the track is essentially a dubstep track. Lucy Taylor's vocals have a wonderful vulnerability to them; I imagine her as the jilted partner who believed the relationship was progressing in a beautiful fashion, until her partner suddenly drops a bombshell upon her. I love the dubstep wobble breakdown middle 8th. It keeps the track "hard" and is a perfect way to set-up Lucy's vulnerable vocals again.

All in all I can't stop listening to the track. Will it be a big hit? Hmm, well it should make top 30 at least. But there is less excitement around the Bloc Party/Kele brand nowadays I think. But it's a tune I will be dropping in a set most assuredly

No comments:

Post a Comment