Translate

Wednesday 5 September 2012

TNGHT - Higher Ground

What do I hear when I hear "trap music"? I hear an offshoot of dubstep. It has that same type of energy, and the emphasis on the 3rd beat that is found in dubstep. In TNGHT's track "Higher Ground" you can hear the Miami Bass influence in the low frequency 808 kick, the hip-hop influence in the brass sample, which really reminds me of "Simon Says" by Pharoahe Monch and the rave influence in the repeated vocal "Reaching for higher ground". Music is always going to be an amalgamation of a wide range of disparate influences and it sounds like TNGHT are going to do that. I wonder what this genre is going to sound like when it comes back full circle and we have vocalists and rappers over the instrumentals? I guess at the moment it's an irrelevance, but let's wait and see shall we?

No comments:

Post a Comment