Translate

Friday 25 July 2014

M.I.A - "Gold"

A new track has emerged from M.I.A. It is called "Gold" It features the production of Dutch production duo The Partysquad (DJ Jerry and MC Ruben) and is taken from their Summer 2014 mixtape, which features a number of remixed versions of tunes such as "Nobody To Love" and "Eat, Sleep, Rave, Repeat". It's a really wide-ranging eclectic set and well worth 77:21 of your time. However M.I.A's track, which is a particular highlight begins at 45:25. The Partyswuad did work on M.I.A's fourth album "Matangi". It has a sort of Moombahcore sound, clocking in at around 104 beats per minute, similar to the sort of thing you'd expect from Diplo. It has this manipulated horns forming the basis of the melody, a banging beat and some extra whistles added over the top at various places. I love whistles! When hear them it automatically sounds like a Brazilian party. M.I.A raps over the top with her distinctive flow, which is always sassy and confident. The hook "Show Me Your Gold" is repeated in a dispassionate way. In my head it's almost saying "Show the gold, but it doesn't prove anything". It's almost like a metaphor for M.I.A's career in that she pioneered a lot of things which other female artists have taken and sold a lot more records with (The look for Rihanna's "Rude Boy" video, the Diplo beats Beyonce used in "Run The World (Girls)".). The track lasts for about 2 minutes and then flows back into the mixtape. It's a standout moment for sure though!

No comments:

Post a Comment