Translate

Friday 8 March 2013

Wretch 32 - Blackout ft. Shakka

Wretch 32 has released the first taste from his forthcoming second album. "Traktor" is one of my all-time favourite UK rap tracks. One of the main reasons for this was its uncommercial sound, yet it was still a UK top 5 hit. I must admit as a listener when I first heard the house-style organs, in combination with what sounds like a typical Calvin Harris style build-up I was fearing a typical four to-the-floor rap track. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it didn't resort to this easy shortcut. Instead what follows is a melancholy track that in my mind reminds me of the search for peace and quiet in a busy world. I imagine for an underground artist who has blown up like Wretch 32 there are times where his new life seems crazy. In fact there are references to frustrations with the paparazzi and "My ego's claustrophobic".

I really like this tune. Can't wait for the album that will shortly follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment