Translate

Saturday 29 December 2012

Disclosure - Please Don't Turn Me On

It looks like 2013 is going to be a big year for Disclosure. The release of their first album will be an interesting moment in dance music. And I think that is the case because they are bringing back the sound of 2step/garage. They are also from near where I live, literally 20 minutes away. They are barely into their 20's, but garage is such a Croydon sound I know they would have heard this sound all around them as they were young. I know I did! (Weirdly enough I ran into a mate of theirs when I was DJ'ing at a wedding over the summer in Surrey. Small world) So they have updated a classic by Artful Dodger, which in my opinion highlights who they are and what they do. I remember when Re-Rewind dropped and you would hear it everywhere. "Please Don't Turn Me On" wasn't such a big-hit, but it was more gentle. I always got the feeling from the lyrics that it wasn't going to matter anyway; they were still going to end up together, despite his pleadings. I love the classic four-to-the floor sound, combined with the synths that beautifully dive in and out. If Disclosure have success, then that could set the template for pop music for the next couple of years. Kind of like how David Guetta's success a few years ago is still being felt today. Hope 2013 is a successful year for Disclosure!

No comments:

Post a Comment