Translate

Sunday 30 December 2012

Influences: Kyla - Daydreaming (Lil Silva Mix)

I was about to head out driving and as a last minute decision I decided to take a mix CD that my brother had bought back with him from South Africa. It was a mix CD that he had bought out there when he was there to see the World Cup in 2010. It consisted of a mix of Kwaito, South African House and UK Funky tracks. It is interesting to note that with the preponderance of Euro-infused House that dominates the charts UK FUnky never really made it to the mainstream. If anything the chances of that happening now are better than ever, considering Afrobeats has managed to make a breakthrough in the UK in 2012, and it shares many similar elements to UK Funky. I first remember hearing it on a drive down to Brighton, where my mate would regularly play tunes that I hadn't heard. I remember thinking that this blend is amazing! There are so many elements, particularly in the drum patterns that share a common thread with Afrobeats and this Lil Silva mix of Daydreaming by Kyla is a great example of that. The 4x4 kick, combined with the Afro-percussive rhythms. I love Kyla's gentle, dreamy vocal that floats along the beat which stays really funky throughout. Lets hope 2013 brings funkier tunes such as this one along! Lightning out.

No comments:

Post a Comment