Translate

Sunday 28 June 2015

Mele - "Ambience"

I first came across this tune while listening to Annie Mac's Friday night Radio 1 show last week. I subsequently discovered this was being released on Lobster Boy, which is run by Redlight, who is an artist that I am a huge fan of. When I first heard this tune I had no idea that it was a UK producer, as I was a bit behind the curve with Mele, as he has been releasing tracks for a few years. He was born in Wirral and is now based in London.

The track itself is a track that owes a lot to the funk carioca sound of Brazil, combined with what you could identify as a female vocal that you could find in house music as it is particularly powerful, but in this case it is utilised in a way that reminds me of a lady leading the carnival procession right at the front. She alternates between moments of encouragement, screams and sung phrases, which is so effective. The beat has the type of drums you would expect to find in Brazilian music. I love the way the beat moves along with the main bass drum sound (which I think is played by a surdo drum in Brazilian music featuring prominently.

This is definitely a tune that should be big in the summer. It is a brilliant piece of music! I think people would be surprised to know it comes from a Wirral based producer, but that is the beauty of the eclecticism that is found in British music. "Ambience" is available for pre-order now.