Translate

Sunday 7 June 2015

Until The Ribbon Breaks - "A Taste Of Silver"

Tonight (Sunday 7th June) I will be going to see Run The Jewels, which I am really looking forward to. My sense of anticipation has been heightened by the discovery of Until The Ribbon Breaks, who will be the support act at Kentish Town Forum tonight. Upon researching their origins they began as a solo project by Pete Lawrie-Winfield, from Cardiff, and expanded into a 3-piece, featuring James Gordon and Elliott Wall. Their debut album "A Lesson Unlearnt" was released at the beginning of this year and upon discovering it I instantly appreciated its fascinating qualities. First off their music has been described as being an eclectic fuse of genres (often a dangerous tag!). I would put them down as R&B, but with a bit of a twist, in a way similar to an artist who I really appreciate, Jamie Liddell. From their album my favourite track is "A Taste Of Silver". It is definitely a mix of genre's, featuring a funky drum break that you would commonly find in hip-hop, a twanging country style guitar-line, the main verse vocal being sung in a falsetto, the chorus vocal being sung in an old-school R&B fashion and a pulsating electronic synth bassline that could easily belong in electronic music genres such as drum'n'bass or dubstep. It is such a brilliant piece of work and features as the third track on the album. There is something about the line in the song that says "When you've had a taste of silver and the pennies won't do", that feels really appropriate to the way I feel. It is so exciting to find artists that excite you, even if they have existed for a number of years. I guess when people who seek out music like I do start paying attention it is a sign they are getting bigger (not that I would ever claim to be a tastemaker!). I can't wait to see how they translate their excellent material to the stage and hopefully we'll see the collaboration that they had with Run The Jewels called "Revolution Indifference" tonight too.

No comments:

Post a Comment