Translate

Friday 27 December 2013

Bombay Bicycle Club - Carry Me

As we come to the end of another great year in British music I am going to list my favourite tracks. I think the thread that they all have in common is that I wish I had created something as amazing. And I am going to start with Bombay Bicycle Club's "Carry Me".

My perception of Bombay Bicycle Club was that they were a folk-type act in the vein of Mumford & Sons. Then I heard this track, by luck, when one of those infernal YouTube adverts came up. Luckily it was for this song, which had been released a few days earlier.

That insistent bassline gets you at the start! It's really infectious and is danceable and powerful. And there is a element to the beginning of the track and throughout the song that reminds you of a 90's rave track re-imagined by a band. The parts in the chorus that sound like a trumpet, the high male vocal in the verses, the repeated sung parts "You Carry Me" and the far-away sounding guitar parts all sound triumphant, but with such power behind them. I guess that comes from the drum part with the powerful sound of toms and snares melding together.

Bombay Bicycle Club have a new album called "So Long, See You Tomorrow" which is due out on February 3rd 2014. It's definitely much-anticipated and they released another taster called "It's Alright Now" earlier in December. That's a banger too. But "Carry Me" is easily one of the best tunes I have heard in years!

No comments:

Post a Comment