Translate

Sunday 29 December 2013

Songs of 2013 - MKS - Flatline

One of my favourite tracks of 2012 was "Losing You" by Solange Knowles, produced by Dev Hynes (aka Lightspeed Champion or Blood Orange). This track by the act originally known as The Sugababes   is also produced by him. It is a track that despite the lyrics seemingly to be about a relationship breakdown (the chorus begins "Stay gone, darling I won't hang on\ I can feel the flatline that ought to be away") has a really uplifting vibe to it! I think that is partly because it is great to hear the original Sugababes back making music together. Plus the choir sounding"ohh's" that come in at 2:28 always sound cool. The video is great too. It's like there are 3 women re-connecting with each other after being kept apart for reasons none of them know why. Which I guess is what has happened.

Unfortunately the song was not a big hit and only got to number 50 in the UK charts, despite critical acclaim. That's not a good sign. I imagine there is a bit of label money behind them, so MKS would expect to have significant chart success. I hope this happens, but not at the expense of quality music. Hopefully there will be more tunes like "Flatline" that meet with great success and a great album to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment